1. What is a Control Parking Zone (CPZ)?

CPZs are designed to help people park in their local area, by restricting people from other areas parking in their roads. They can also help reduce traffic congestion and air pollution.

Within a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ), only residents who have applied for a permit can park on certain roads during set hours. People who don't live in the CPZ area cannot apply for a permit. Residents can also apply for visitor permits.

Parking bays and signs are installed in CPZ zones to clearly show motorists the parking restrictions that apply within the zone.

2. Why are the council considering a CPZ in this area?

A CPZ for Millard Terrace will allow all residents the opportunity to park their vehicles there. At present Housing have only 57 bays for 156 properties.

3. Why did the council choose my street / area?

Your local area has been chosen to be a CPZ because we have identified a need for more parking for the residents of Millard Terrace.

4. Who can apply for permits in a CPZ?

In a CPZ you need a permit to park. Only residents and businesses located within a zone, except those living in a car-free development, can buy permits. This helps stop drivers from outside an area from being able to park there, making it easier for residents in a zone to park near their homes.

5. How much do the permits cost?

Parking permit costs are now based on a vehicle's CO2 emissions and this can be found at Appendix A.

Alternatively you can view permit costs here https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/permit-prices

Vehicles displaying a valid blue badge are allowed to park within the CPZ bays, and don’t need to buy a permit.

Households can get free permits for up to two electric vehicles if they are in the 0 – 50 C02 category.

6. Why isn't the permit for the first vehicle free?

We have to charge for permits to help us cover the set-up, maintenance and ongoing enforcement of the zones - we need to do this to ensure residents can park in their local area. All boroughs are required to charge for parking for this reason

7. Why are permits for some vehicles more expensive?

As part of our commitment to improve air quality for residents, our parking permit fees and charges are based on CO2 emissions which harm the environment. Costs are higher for higher polluting vehicles, to encourage people to move to lower polluting vehicles that are less harmful for the environment.

Households can get free permits for up to two electric vehicles if they are in the 0 – 50 C02 category.

8. What are the vehicle emissions for my vehicle?

To find out about the emissions of your vehicle, you can either look on your vehicle log book (V5C) or you can use this link www.lbbd.gov.uk/caremissions.

9. Do people have to pay more if they have more than one car?

Each household pays a set permit cost for up to two vehicles. To reduce congestion caused by parked vehicles and to improve road safety, households with three or more vehicles have to pay more for their third, fourth, or fifth vehicle.

Information on the permits and current costs can be found on the following link: https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/permit-prices

If you already have a permit as you already live in a CPZ zone we are proposing to extend, your permit will be valid, and you will not need to buy a new one or do anything.

10. If I am disabled, do I need a permit?

Vehicles that display a valid blue badge do not have to purchase a permit. 

11. What do I do if I have a visitor?

Visitors will only need to pay for parking during the hours of operation of the zone.

When you have a visitor, you can purchase a permit online and this will be instant once payment has been made. Any payment made for permits is not refundable.

You need to set up a resident permit account on Ringo and all you need is your visitor’s vehicle registration number, the date they will be staying, and how long they will be staying for.

You can either activate a virtual permit when your visitor is actually parking up or you can do it in advance if you know the date and time that your visitor will be arriving.

Once you have created one permit, your card and vehicles will be remembered by the system. This makes it easy to order new visitor parking permits in the future.

Current Visitor Permit prices

  • 4 hours: £0.75
  • 1 day: £1.38

12. Can I book for more than one session of 30 minutes free parking per day, but in different parking locations?

No, you can only claim one 30 minutes free parking session per day, even if you choose to move your car to a different parking location.

13. I regularly have carers and medical professionals visiting me at my home, do they need a permit?

If you receive home visits from a carer then you may be entitled to a carer’s parking permit.

Staff who work for a carer’s agency providing home care to multiple residents in the borough may also apply for a carer’s permit.

You can apply for a new carer’s permit or renew an existing one by completing the application form online.

If you are a resident receiving care you just need to provide proof of your care needs such as;

  • a letter from your GP or NHS
  • welfare benefit entitlement letter confirming you are in receipt of the Care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you are a care provider/agency you must provide proof that you are providing care to a Barking and Dagenham resident (e.g. a contract).

Permit prices are as follows;

  • 6 month permit, £83.50
  • 12 month permit, £125

14. Does a permit guarantee me a space outside of my home?

The permit scheme does not guarantee a parking space in the car park but it is highly unlikely you will not find a space.

15. Will my permit be valid in all parts of the borough?

No, your permit is only valid for the zone you live in. Residents with permits for other zones will also not be able to park in your zone.

16. What if I have a company car or van?

If you have a company vehicle, you can still apply for a resident’s permit. We just need a letter from your company on their headed paper confirming that you are the authorised driver or vehicle keeper. The letter needs to show the vehicle registration.

17. What if I have a London black cab or private hire vehicle?

You can still apply for a resident’s permit. If you do not own your vehicle and it is leased or hired we just need a copy of your hire or lease agreement which shows the vehicle registration.

18. Do I need a permit if I want to park my motorbike, moped or scooter?

No, solo motorcycles, mopeds and scooters do not require a permit to park within a CPZ area.

19. What are the different types of parking bays?

Permit Holder Bays – these are bays designated for all valid permits, or particular types of permit as stated on the signs e.g. ‘resident permit holders only’ or ‘business permits only’

Shared use bay - these are bays designed for both permit holders (without additional charge) such as business, carers, voluntary as well as there being an option for or non-permit holders who must ‘pay by phone’ to park there. These bays have a ‘maximum stay’ that only ‘pay by phone’ users must follow. These are typically located around community hubs, green spaces, nursing homes and so on. The option to ‘pay by phone’ is cashless and is operated via RingGo.

20. How can the council ensure that only residents get parking and visitor permits?

Only vehicles registered to an address within the designated CPZ zone are able to obtain a permit.

21. Are these the first CPZs in the borough?

There are several CPZ areas already in place across the borough. The aim of this exercise was to make them more consistent and fair, as some CPZs operated on different times, making the parking restrictions on some streets very different to other streets nearby. 

22. How will the CPZ affect air quality?

CPZs improve air quality by reducing the amount of time drivers spend driving around in search of available parking spaces, reducing the amount of pollution that vehicles give out into the air. They can also encourage more sustainable types of travel such as public transport, cycling and walking.

23. What is being done about commercial vehicles?

Within CPZ zones, the maximum size of vehicle you can get a permit for is 2.3m in height or 5.25m in length.

24. What is the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and how will it affect our CPZ?

From 25 October 2021 Transport for London (TfL) are extending the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to inner London, which will include the London Borough of Newham. This will mean vehicles that don’t meet the minimum required emission standards will have to pay a charge to enter the ULEZ.

This could mean some drivers will try to park their vehicle in the borough to avoid paying the charges associated with entering the zone, causing additional parking stress for our local residents. With the CPZ they won’t be able to.

For more information about ULEZ, please use this link www.lbbd.gov.uk/ulez

25. Isn't this about making money? Why are we being charged for permits when we already pay our Council Tax?

This isn't about making money. We have done this to make CPZ zones across the borough fairer and more consistent. They will make roads safer, reduce traffic congestion and air pollution, and make it easier for people who live locally to park near their home.

We have to charge for permits to help us cover the set-up, maintenance and ongoing enforcement of the zones - we need to do this to ensure residents can park in their local area.

26. What about people who can't get online - how can they get help with the consultation?

We can provide support to residents who don’t have access to the internet or who need extra help. Residents can get support with the consultation at the following libraries across the borough:  

  • Barking Library at Barking Learning Centre
  • Dagenham Library
  • Thames View Library
  • Valence Library